My dad loves pie, especially strawberry pie. I had always thought that cherry or apple were his favorites until last Father's Day when D and I brought a strawberry pie for dessert. Dad was so excited and if I recall correctly, had two pieces after dinner.
So when Father's Day came around this year, what else could I do but make the man another strawberry pie, right? Especially since we had just gone strawberry picking and had sooooo many strawberries in our fridge.
Last year I made an unbaked version so this year, baked it would be. After a search of the internet, I decided that this recipe from the Food Network's Neelys would be best. It had good ratings and didn't look too complicated. My kind of recipe.
Dad reported back this evening that the pie was fabulous, especially when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Hooray!
Check out the places I party.
Baked Strawberry Pie
Source: Adapted from Food Network
- 2 sheets roll-out pie crust
- egg wash
- Demurara sugar, for top of crust
- 5 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Unroll out a sheet of the pie crust and lay in a 9-inch pie plate.
- nroll out the other sheet and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips with a sharp knife or pastry wheel. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together dry ingredients - granulated sugar, corn starch and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and dry ingredients.
- Pour into crust.
- Arrange the strips over the top of the pie in a lattice pattern, tucking in the edges.
- Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle the demurara sugar.
- Bake the pie at 400 for 25 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350. and bake an additional 30 minutes or until the top crust is golden brown.
- Let cool before serving.
|I am loving all the macros on my new camera.|