Tonight we decided that we wanted ribs for dinner. But the question quickly arose on what to serve for sides. Checking the fridge, I found a cabbage from our CSA basket. Then it hit me..Cole Slaw! But not just any slaw, one with some bite, some kick, some spice. The perfect contrast to the heat and sweet BBQ sauce on the ribs.
After checking out many recipes across the internet, I came up with the recipe below. It made more than enough slaw for 4 people. It was a bit much for my stepdaughter, but she doesn't like spice or heat of any kind, so if you have folks with sensitive mouths, I would suggest cutting the amount of dry mustard in half.
Spicy Cole Slaw
Source: The depths of K's brain
- 1/2 head cabbage - sliced thin on a mandolin
- 1 c carrots - diced by running through the mini food processor
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1 1/2 t dry mustard
- 2 T white sugar
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t Bavarian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large bowl
- Mix to combine
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, white sugar, dry mustard, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and Bavarian seasoning
- Pour over cabbage and carrots.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be served immediately but flavors intensify over time.
- For less "bite," halve amount of dry mustard