Today I am sharing my Peanut Butter Choco Chip Cake. Sometimes misreading a recipe turns out great. This is one of those times.
I had a large summer squash hanging out in our CSA basket and just wasn't up for another stir-fry or roasted veggie dish. I was craving something sweet. That's when it hit me, on one of the Tout It Tuesday linky parties, A Little Nosh had linked up a recipe that looked like it would fit the bill.
I gathered up my ingredients and started to mix everything together when disaster struck! Or rather my apparent inability to follow a recipe while trying to read emails on my phone and put together the week's menu plan struck. I had doubled the amount of agave nectar. Of course, I only noticed when the batter was way too soupy (even if it smelled a-freaking-mazing!)
Whoops! I would like to say that this is an unusual occurrence but, sadly, that isn't the case. Note to self: stop trying to multi-task when baking.
Since I didn't want to waste this fabulous smelling concoction that I had mixed together, it was time to get creative. Result? The recipe was no longer flourless. I added more squash along with more peanut butter plus I doubled the cocoa and finally sprinkled choco chips on top. (can you have too much chocolate?)
- 1-16 oz jar peanut butter (I used Smucker's natural peanut butter)
- 2 cup of grated squash (I used the medium hole side of my box grater)
- 2/3 cup of agave nectar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 c flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 t salt
- 4 Tbsp of dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix everything together.
- Pour into a greased 9×9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I love it when an disaster, with a little tweaking and some additional ingredients, turns out delicious!
Don't forget to enter the giveaway for a $25 Visa gift card and the Fall Fun and Howling Halloween Linky Party starts on tomorrow. Make sure to stop by Claiming Our Space or one of the lovely co-hosts to link up Fall or Halloween related projects, recipes or posts.